Mountain Skills 1 Course I Wicklow
31st July 2021 @ 8:00 am - 1st August 2021 @ 5:00 pm
Mountain Skills (1 and 2) is a nationally accredited course by the Mountain Training Board of Ireland (the new all Ireland mountain body)and is delivered through 2 days tuition in an upland environment. The aim of this course is to help you learn the skills you need to get out hiking; independently, safely, responsibly in the mountains of Ireland and the UK : to navigate with confidence using a map and compass and proper equipment.
At the end of this course you will have taken a big step forward in developing your own self-confidence and increase your enjoyment of hiking in the Irish mountains, in the UK or any where else in the world !
Registration with Mountaineering Ireland is essential in order to take part in this course. There is a fee a € 22 and it covers:
– Access to the full Mountain Skills Scheme (MS1 , MS2 and MS Assessment)
– A digital and / or paper Logbook and booklet setting out the scheme and allowing to track your progress
– A discounted Mountaineering Ireland membership fee of € 30, if you wish to join at the time of registration. Any explanation and information will be given to you on training day.
Some hiking experience are essential before joining the scheme however, you don’t need to be an expert.
MS 1 runs over 2 days (weekend)
Morning 1 :Indoor session from 9 – 12 , outdoor session 13 – 17
Morning 2 : Indoor session from 10 – 12 outdoor session 13 – 17
The course covers;
– Mountain Skills Scheme introduction
– Personal equipment
– Reading and Understanding Maps
– Features recognition and depiction of relief
– Contour Interpretation
– Scale understanding
– Compass use
– Grid reference and self location
– Timing and pacing
– Mountain Environment and the leave no Trace Programme
– Mountain Hazards
Private and personalized courses are also available.
Emmanuel is a qualified Mountain Leader for the island of Ireland and the UK, has been actively hiking from the age of 9 in the French Alps and with the scouts in the French Alps, Germany, Austria, Italy and more recently in : Spain, Canada, USA, Norway and Ireland for the past 35 years. Hiking is pretty much in his blood and has even spent one year in the French army in Germany during the cold war and it was cold …