As a course provider for Mountaineering Ireland, I run a Mountain Skills 1 and 2 training courses, accordingly to the Mountaineering Ireland Syllabus. The scheme is divided up into ; Mountain Skills 1 and Mountain Skills 2 and a Mountain Skills Assessment.
The aim of these courses which run over 2 weekends or 4 days, is to help you learn the skills you need to get out hiking; independently, safely, responsibly in the mountains of Ireland, the UK and beyond. To navigate with confidence using a map, a compass and proper equipment in any type of weather condition during day or night time (night time training as being part of MS2). There are 2 to 3 hours indoor sessions on the Saturday and Sunday morning but, most of the course will take place outdoor with a night navigation up to 9 or 10 pm mostly held in Autumn or Winter ( MS2)
The courses cover :
- Mountain Skills Scheme introduction
- Personal Equipment
- Reading and Understanding Maps
- Features recognition and depiction of relief
- Contour interpretation
- Grid reference and self location
- Scale understanding
- Compass use
- Timing and Pacing
- Mountain Environment and the Leave No trace Program
- Route Planning
- Mountain Hazards
- Steep ground Private and personalized courses for individuals and small groups are also available. Some hiking experience is essential before joining the scheme however, you don’t need to be an expert.
Location of this courses will take place in the Wicklow and Mount-Leinster area. Further details regarding the LOCATION and DATES will be given on the Mountaineering Ireland Website: Home page – Training – course provider= Emmanuel Chappard, and on ; www.mountainadventures74.com
PRICE = € 120
Which include: Tea, coffee, scones or else, Course notes, A free hiking practice day.
Dates and location of my courses are in the Upcoming Events page of this website.